Re: Generation of tags for the current project on the fly

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Generation of tags for the current project on the fly
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 21:45:51 -0700

>>>>> "Dmitry" == Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

Dmitry> Thanks! It's working better now, but here's another experiment:
Dmitry> ~/v/emacs-master (feature/etags-update|…) $ make tags
Dmitry> <completes okay>
Dmitry> ~/v/emacs-master (feature/etags-update|…) $ echo src/doc.c |
Dmitry> lib-src/etags - -u -o src/TAGS
Dmitry> ~/v/emacs-master (feature/etags-update|…) $ echo src/doc.c |
Dmitry> lib-src/etags - -u -o src/TAGS
Dmitry> lib-src/etags: invalid TAGS file

Ok, I think I've fixed this now.

Dmitry> Anyway, my intention for now is to cherry-pick the '-u' feature as
Dmitry> soon as it's working well. Nothing against '--find', but it should
Dmitry> probably be a separate discussion.

It's fine by me.  There are 3 patches so far to get, but also I haven't
addressed this yet:

Dmitry> Speaking of deletions, this is not strictly necessary (we could just
Dmitry> delete the whole TAGS and recreate), but it would be helpful if, when
Dmitry> passed a non-existing file that is in TAGS, 'etags -u' deleted it from
Dmitry> the index. Right now, it only complains "No such file or directory",
Dmitry> but keeps it in the index.

Tom