Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 18:26:35 +1100

I dunno, perhaps I'm just slow, but I know my emacs startup is certainly more than 2 seconds and the time has never bothered me. As I rarely hack on elisp these days, I don't find it necessary to restart very often and I've got everything integrated using emacsclient, so once I'm running, I forget about startup time. However, I will put some timing code in just to see (out of interest) what my startup is like.

For me, I'm more frustrated by modes like helm, which seem to offer benefits, but I find such add-ons tend to slow down my use of emacs, which I find more frustrating than startup times.

The slowest component in my setup is definitely me though!

Tim

On 31 January 2018 at 19:05, John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

TC> Can I ask what would be considered an acceptable startup time? Times under
TC> 2 seconds seem pretty good to me. I'm just curious to know what the
TC> general expectation is?

My ideal is .25 (I've gotten it as low as 0.14 on GNU/Linux).  I don't
complain if it's below 2.

--
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2

--
regards,

Tim