Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 21:14:13 -0500

  > I think things already work the way users expect. Let's look at
  > Python. When you install a package using 'pip', the package files are
  > placed on Python's search path. Thereafter, 'import <package>' works
  > without any further "activation" step. The package is automatically
  > made available in future sessions, although it is not loaded until
  > requested.

In Python, once a package is on the search path, the user needs to
give a specific command to make it callable from a given module.

I think Emacs should work the same way.

If I understood correctly, it is currently NOT the same, because in
Emacs the package doesn't require any command to make the package
callable.  Simply getting it from ELPA makes it callable _all the time_.

The change I have asked for would make Emacs do like Python.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.