Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 10:43:27 +0200

> From: George Plymale II <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 18:02:12 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > I don't know of an online resource with such details, but maybe it's
> > somewhere in the FSF website.  There is a statement to that effect in
> > the assignment agreement itself, at least in the paper version I
> > received when I made my assignment many years ago:
>
> >    FSF agrees to grant back to Developer, and does hereby grant,
> >    non-exclusive, royalty-free and non-cancellable rights to use the Works
> >    (i.e., Developer's changes and/or enhancements, not the Program that
> >    they enhance), as Developer sees fit [...]
>
> Huh, well I wasn't aware of that and it sounds fine to me. Are you sure
> that there's no strings attached?

There's no other wording related to that, and the text is pretty
clear.  So I see no other strings that could be attached.  You, as the
author, retain full rights to do anything you like with the code.

> Well, my understanding of the policy was that one's _contributions_ are
> owned by the FSF. I.e., that you have to sign waivers which tell the
> FSF, "Hey, I give up all rights to own any code that I give you guys in
> these certain projects."

Given the above, I believe you now realize that this was a mistaken
interpretation.  You retain all the rights, you just give the FSF the
ability to enforce the copyright if needed.