Re: tar file-name-handler

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: tar file-name-handler
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 17:35:49 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 09:04:04 -0500
>
> I remember an announcement recently that a file-name-handler was now
> available for tar archives, and wanted to try it out, but can't seem to
> find it.
>
> Did I dream it?

Not a dream.  From NEWS on master:

  ** Emacs can now visit files in archives as if they were directories.
  This feature uses Tramp and works only on systems which support GVFS,
  i.e. GNU/Linux, roughly spoken.  See the chapter "(tramp) Archive file
  names" in the Tramp manual for full documentation of these facilities.