Re: Failure building Emacs on WSL

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Failure building Emacs on WSL
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 17:17:28 +0100 (CET)

> Il 2 febbraio 2018 alle 9.30 Eli Zaretskii ha scritto:
>
> When the build process detects that your Info manuals (in info/) are
> out of sync with their Texinfo sources (under doc/*/).

Thanks for claryfication...

> Is the Cygwin Texinfo installation really so heavy-weight?  Is it not
> possible to install only Texinfo, without TeX?  If you don't have TeX,
> you will be unable to produce the printed versions of the manuals
> (PDF, DVI, PS formats), but if you never need that, TeX is just (a lot
> of) ballast.  So in that case, just installing Texinfo alone, which is
> a relatively small package, will allow you to build the manuals when
> you build Emacs from Git, and get the latest manuals to go with the
> binaries you built.

MSYS2 has not texlive packages so its texinfo package install only makeinfo and
some other utility but WSL (the Windows Subsystem for Linux in W10) wants to
install also some texlive package when one installs texinfo...

The issue was originated by the fact that I removed C:\msys64\usr\bin from
Windows PATH so in the previous builds the WSL build of Emacs was really using
the MSYS2 makeinfo.

Thanks,
 Angelo.