Re: cc-mode: Make all parameters introduced in Emacs 26 optional

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: cc-mode: Make all parameters introduced in Emacs 26 optional
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2018 11:44:51 +0000

Hello, Matthew.

On Sat, Feb 03, 2018 at 01:13:57 -0500, Matthew Carter wrote:
> Matthew Carter <address@hidden> writes:

> > Somewhat on this subject - recent versions of Emacs have seemed to have
> > changed single quotes with text between the quotes with a length greater
> > than 1 to use a warn font face on the quotes, instead of the font string
> > face (likely because in C the single quote denotes a char, ....

That's indeed what's been changed.

> > .... but in many of the derived modes that cc-mode mentions in it's
> > own comment set (php-mode, dart-mode etc.), a single quoted string
> > and double quoted string are used interchangeably).

Ah.  This is indeed a CC Mode bug.

> > Does cc-mode have a setting to correct this and restore the old behavior?

It doesn't, but it will soon get one.  This will be a "lang variable", to
be set by each derived mode appropriately, as part of the language
definition.

> I hate to respond to my own post, but I have tracked this down to
> #'c-parse-quotes-after-change (defined in cc-mode.el).

I don't hate it at all - it saves me work.  :-)

Thanks indeed for taking the trouble to report this bug.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).