Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2018 20:25:01 -0500

On 2018-02-03 20:16, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Helpfulness of error messages surely depends on the beholder, and on
> expectations.  In my eyes,
>
>> Symbol's value as variable is void: 'аbbrevs-changed
> is quite clear: you think this        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is a quoted
> thing, but the error message calls it a symbol.  So there must be a
> problem with that quote, it has obviously gotten read as part of the
> symbol.  Sure, you have still to find out why.

I think you're making Eli's point, actually :)

The problem isn't the quote: it's the CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER A instead of LATIN
SMALL LETTER A.  IOW, (string= "аbbrevs-changed" "abbrevs-changed") is nil.

I think Eli was illustrating the confusion that can stem from Unicode
confusables (and I must agree that the error message could be much better ^^)

Clément.