Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 22:07:43 -0500

  > By using the word "openness," I wasn't specifically referring to the
  > open-source movement. I just meant that this policy decreases general
  > openness in the community since there is a certain gate, if you will,
  > which one must pass through in order to contribute to Emacs.

Freedom sometimes requires a sacrifice, and this is one example.
"Openness" is not a priority for us -- freedom is our goal.

  > (c) There is no process for decision making or transparency in GNU.

Do you mean, that the contributors can't change the goals and the
philosophy of the project.  That's true, and it has to be that way.

Most free software projects don't have a commitment to any particular
political goal or philosophy.  Those questions are simply up to the
main developers of the project.  They can change goals as thery see
fit.

GNU is different.  It has a commitment to a particular political
philosophy, and that never changes.

People who expect the other way may be surprised when they see GNU is
different.  They expect to be able to argue about the basic goal
and get it changed.  However, the goal of GNU came before GNU,
so they cannot change it.

You have a right to criticize various aspects of GNU, but please don't
use this list for that; that is off-topic here.  This list is for
developing Emacs.  Explaining our assignment policies was just barely
on-topic, but this is not.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.