Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2018 22:36:32 +0200

> Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2018 22:10:25 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
>
> > Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> > From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> > Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 11:36:05 -0800
> >
> > We still have a problem with Emacs Lisp code containing confusable
> > characters
> > that can make the code exceedingly hard to review. These characters are
> > currently not caught or checked by anything. We really should do better.
>
> I agree that we need a solid solution to that.

How about if we start by warning about any Lisp symbol whose name uses
characters from more than one script for non-punctuation characters?
puny.el has a function that solves a similar problem, which could be
used as a starting point.

We could make this an opt-in feature if the warnings are deemed to be
a potential annoyance.