Re: Extending the ecomplete.el data store.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Extending the ecomplete.el data store.
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 01:17:49 -0600

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>This said, there can be various other info that could determine which
>alternative to use.  E.g. you might like to use nicknames when sending
>to a group of close friends, but more official names when sending to
>some of the same person but as part of a work email.  So maybe we should
>keep more info than you currently have (i.e. keep a list of other email
>addresses that appeared in the same message).

Yup.  That's one reason why I think it's worth moving to this more extensible
format.  Such things could be added later, and the format could handle them.
(Maybe we should add a top level symbol in each record stating what flavor of
record it is -- e.g., for the current proposal, that symbol would be
'email-addr' or something.)

>> I haven't thought much about that, because I solve that problem out-of-band
>> right now: my mailaprop database is under version control and gets
>> automatically sync'd across all the machines I work on (and the same would
>> be true of .ecompleterc if I were using that).  I agree it would be a good
>> thing if Emacs solved that automagically, as long as it were truly reliable.
>
>I tried doing the same with ecompleterc but that results in too may
>conflicts that are annoying to resolve by hand.
>Based on your description of the format you use, I'm surprised you're
>not suffering from conflicts as well.

Remember, mailaprop isn't updating the datastore during the Emacs session --
when Emacs exits, mailaprop isn't writing anything out to disk.  Instead, the
database is regenerated whole each time, from the entire email corpus.  When I
do that regeneration, the last step is to push the new database up to the
version control repository.

If mailaprop were like ecomplete, updating the database from activity during
the Emacs session (which I think would be a good feature to add some day), then
it would indeed have the same conflict problem you experienced.

Best regards,
-Karl