Re: Extending the ecomplete.el data store.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Extending the ecomplete.el data store.
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 13:30:11 -0500

>>This said, there can be various other info that could determine which
>>alternative to use.  E.g. you might like to use nicknames when sending
>>to a group of close friends, but more official names when sending to
>>some of the same person but as part of a work email.  So maybe we should
>>keep more info than you currently have (i.e. keep a list of other email
>>addresses that appeared in the same message).
> Yup.  That's one reason why I think it's worth moving to this more
> extensible format.  Such things could be added later, and the format could
> handle them.  (Maybe we should add a top level symbol in each record stating
> what flavor of record it is -- e.g., for the current proposal, that symbol
> would be 'email-addr' or something.)

Hmm... the more I think about it, the more it seems that the data and
the selection algorithm are fairly tightly bound, so having a generic
format might not give very much benefit, because you'll need specialized
code to make good sense of it anyway.

So I'm wondering if we're not better off with "use your own format" and
then use completion-at-point-functions (or something like it) as the
compatibility layer.

        Stefan