Re: A response to RMS (was Loading a package applies automatically to fu

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A response to RMS (was Loading a package applies automatically to future sessions?)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 15:36:49 -0500

  > "You should also have the freedom to make modifications and use them
  > privately in your own work or play, without even mentioning that they
  > exist. If you do publish your changes, you should not be required to
  > notify anyone in particular, or in any particular way."

  > ( from https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html )

All our software releaes give you this; they give this
to the public at large.

  > According to my understanding of the FSF's copyright policy, I have to
  > notify the FSF when I want to distribute my changes because they're no
  > longer mine; they're theirs.

You don't have to notify the FSF to redistribute our software releases
under the GPL.

The unlimited nonexclusive license in the assignment contracts
concerns using that code in other ways, not necessarily in accord with
the GPL.

Some of our assignment contracts say that the author has to explicitly
activate the nonexclusive license.  Others say that the nonexclusive
license starts right away.  If the author prefers the latter form, we
always use it.

You seem to be bending over backwards to put us in the wrong.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.