Re: Generation of tags for the current project on the fly

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Generation of tags for the current project on the fly
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 23:41:29 +0300

On 2/6/18 22:36, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Is that important?  We almost never delete files, certainly not C
files.  Lisp files get moved into obsolete/, so maybe the same rule
that detects and deletes "orphan" *.elc files could update TAGS on
behalf of deleted/moved Lisp files.

Well... It's a normal occurrence in most projects. Maybe not in Emacs, but what about GCC and the rest, which also use 'make tags'?

Also, the developer might be developing some new feature on a branch (adding new files), and switch back and forth between branches, effectively deleting and recreating said files.

It would be nice to keep the index up-to-date automatically during all that. Many users would expect that, I think.