Re: Extending the ecomplete.el data store.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Extending the ecomplete.el data store.
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 18:21:42 -0500

> In the meantime, if I'm planning to actually take any action toward format
> unification, I'll make a noise here.

A good halfway step would be for mailaprop to provide
a completion-at-point-function so it can also be used for
TAB-completion.

I think the main hurdle is that completion-at-point-function only
directly supports prefix completion.  The UI on top of it supports
substring completion, but it does it by requesting "all completions"
from the backend (i.e. from mailaprop in our case) and then doing the
substring search.  So if "HAHAHA" appears in one of the variants but not
in the "canonical" name, it won't be found.  And more importantly,
listing all completions needs to be fast/memoized otherwise the user
will not like the performance.

        Stefan