Re: Emacs 26 MacOS bugs

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Emacs 26 MacOS bugs
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 22:55:05 +0000

On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 01:13:01PM +1100, Ben McGinnes wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 08:33:31PM -0500, Noam Postavsky wrote:
> > AFAIK, there's no firm date, but emacs-26 is in feature freeze and
> > only taking very safe/urgent bug fixes. So it's possible these bugs
> > won't be fixed until after 26.1
>
> I think I could make a very convincing argument regarding the modifier
> keys here being urgent.  If it was only rendering the hyper key
> useless, then maybe you could argue it as not being urgent, but it's
> not merely that ...

The good news is that the patch that affects the modifier keys isn’t
in Emacs 26, it was pushed to master only.

> any attempt to assign the hyper function to any
> other key (e.g. right alt), just adds the hyper function instead of
> replacing the previous function with that.  So if left alt is meta and
> you set right alt as hyper, it just becomes a combined hyper-meta.
> It's no longer possible to set the hyper key on its own.
>
> Which means the code commentary about changing the nil to none for all
> those ns modifier keys is, in fact, completely wrong.  You *do* want nil
> there because if you're re-assigning the key to perform another task
> you actually do want to clear the original setting out of it.
>
> As for a stable fix, that's dead simple, roll back everything from the
> 2016 commit that was merged into master on the 5th and it's done.

I know you think there was nothing wrong with the old code, but it was
broken in various ways that weren’t obvious how to fix. The new code
should behave more consistently, once we clear up the bugs you’ve
found.

Can you please try the attached patch?

Philipp, it seems that EV_MODIFIERS2 was quite, quite broken. I’ve
split it into various parts and tried to fix it.

Additionally the fn key has some strange interactions with ‘function’
keys, like the Fx keys, arrows, tab and so on. The old code simply
didn’t set its modifier when those keys were used, so I’ve followed
that lead and am XORing it out of emacs_event->modifiers.
--
Alan Third