Re: Building Emacs with MinGW 64

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: Building Emacs with MinGW 64
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 20:42:54 -0500

On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 4:10 PM, Ruslan Bekenev <address@hidden> wrote:

> I also have found some build instructions in the web that use MSYS2 package.
> This is not what I want to use though.

You should look at the instructions that come with Emacs first. There
is nt/INSTALL for building with MSYS and mingw32 (I believe this can
only produce 32 bit binaries). nt/INSTALL.w64 describes building with
MSYS2 and mingw64 (this can produce both 64 bit and 32 bit binaries).

You don't explain exactly why you don't want to use MSYS2. Building
Emacs requires gcc, development libraries+headers and a bourne-shell
(or derivative like GNU bash) with standard Unix command line
utilities. MSYS and MSYS2 provide a simple packaged way of installing
these. The nt/INSTALL instructions explain how to install mingw32
separately from MSYS, but I don't know that you can avoid it entirely.