Re: Why named structs and unions? C11 supports anonymous structs and uni

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Why named structs and unions? C11 supports anonymous structs and unions
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 12:22:53 -0800

On 02/11/2018 11:28 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
Daniel Colascione wrote:
I feel like being stuck on C99 and not being able to use C11 would be
much rarer. Besides: C99 compilers usually supported anonymous structs and
unions as an extension.

One counterexample is the vendor-supplied compiler on the main server of our department, which is running Solaris 5.10 (circa 2005). This compiler is Sun C 5.9 (circa 2009). Although more recent versions of this compiler do support anonymous structs and unions, bug reports are still being filed about the feature, e.g., https://community.oracle.com/thread/4106986 dated December 2017. So I would say it's still a bit dicey in more-recent versions.

That's unfortunate.

If it were really important to require this C11 feature I suppose we could forge ahead and do it and tell laggards to upgrade their compilers or use GCC. But my impression is that the feature is mostly just a nicety, at least for Emacs.

If there would be real people adversely impacted by a C11 requirement, we can hold off a little while. The union stuff is merely ugly; it's not a severe problem. I'd definitely like to move to C11 and anonymous inner structures eventually though.