Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 13:09:31 -0800

On 02/16/2018 12:43 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
IMHO, we should enable -Wconversion more broadly.

My experience is just the opposite: i.e., that -Wconversion causes more trouble than it cures. The pdumper change to INTEGER_TO_CONS is an example of trouble. The only reason for that change is to work around a compiler bug in GCC that is caused by -Wconversion, a bug that leads to a false alarm. I suggest at least the attached patch, which limits the damage to pdumper.c instead of letting it spread to other Emacs modules. But better yet, I suggest dropping the idea of using -Wconversion even on pdumper.c, as it's counterproductive and in high-quality code almost inevitably leads to further obfuscation like ALLOW_IMPLICIT_CONVERSION and DISALLOW_IMPLICIT_CONVERSION.

PS. Double-parens like that shouldn't be needed in macro bodies, as each macro must parenthesize its argument properly anyway.