Why was tpu-edt obsolete as of emacs 24.5?

From: Ed James
Subject: Why was tpu-edt obsolete as of emacs 24.5?
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 14:12:11 -0500

I have been using Xemacs on Solaris for the past 15 years or so.
During that period I added many tpu procedures and interfaced them with Xemacs tpu-edt.
I now have a Mac with Sierra and am trying to get emacs 25.3 to run with my old elisp modules.

Why was tpu-edt declared obsolete?
Did it cause failures?
Is the tpu-edt.el.gz in the obsolete directory usable?
Should I get and older version of emacs prior to 24.5?
Should I install Xemacs on my Mac?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Voyle James
address@hidden