Re: Checking for loss of information on integer conversion

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Checking for loss of information on integer conversion
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:41:10 -0500

>> Another possibility would be for Emacs to signal an error when reading any
>> integer that does not fit in fixnum bounds.
> Please do that.

That would be a regression.  On 32bit systems, there are various
circumstances where we need to read a 32bit ID (i.e. one that
doesn't fit within our 30bit fixnums), as well as situations where we
read something like a file size which may also fail to fit.

On 64bit systems (and 32bit systems built with wide-ints),
I don't see such a clear need to convert a large integer into a float,
so on those systems I think it's OK to just signal an error.

        Stefan "still living in the 32bit world"