Increase gc-cons-threshold during package-init?

From: T.V Raman
Subject: Increase gc-cons-threshold during package-init?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 09:23:31 -0800

With Emacs now calling package-initialize on its own, I noticed (after
removing package-initialize from my emacs init file)
that emacs startup was now  entailing 3 times as many gc calls during
startup as before. One guess is that my init file was lexically
binding gc-cons-threshold to 64MB --- the default gc-cons-threshold
of 800K is likely from the past and could be increased.

Even if we leave the default as is, it might make sense to temporarily
increase gc-cons-threshold within package-initialize