Re: FreeBSD configure error related to liblockfile

From: Joseph Mingrone
Subject: Re: FreeBSD configure error related to liblockfile
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 20:52:56 -0400

Joseph Mingrone <address@hidden> writes:

> Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

>> Joseph Mingrone wrote:
>>> 2. We could add a dependency on GNU mailutils.

>> That sounds like it's the easiest fix. These days GNU mailutils is
>> recommended anyway, as Emacs's own movemail program retrieves POP3 email
>> only via insecure channels.

> Sounds good, I will add that dependency.  However, it looks like I was
> mistaken.  Also depending on mailutils does not fix the issue with
> liblockfile installed and supplying the --without-x argument to
> configure.  Should both mailutils and liblockfile be added as dependencies?

> In any case, it still seems like there is a problem with the configure
> script.  Shouldn't it be finding the installed maillock.h and be able to link
> against the lockfile shared library?

> Thanks,

> Joseph

The liblockfile checks pass after adding LDFLAGS+=-L${LOCALBASE}/lib.
Based on bug #10313, this addition to LDFLAGS feels like the right
approach for the FreeBSD port/package.

The confusion about GNU Mailutils fixing the problem was due to the
differences between 25.3 and the master branch.  In the master branch,
the locking tests are wrapped in

if test ! "$with_mailutils"; then
fi

Given this, I assume functionality provided by liblockfile is duplicated
in mailutils.  I think a sensible approach for the port/package would be
to set ac_cv_prog_liblockfile=no and, as you suggest, (optionally)
depend on GNU Mailutils for users that require movemail and the other
functionality provided by Mailutils.

Thanks again,

Joseph