Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 22:04:10 +0000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I do wonder whether it makes sense to try to copy the dump into the
>> Emacs executable itself instead of leaving it as a separate file.
>
> We could try, but:
> - it adds complexity and maybe system-dependent hacks.
> - it closes the opportunity to have several dump files for a single
>   executable (I was thinking we could try and let end-users build their
>   own dump file).

While I've got little to add the discussion of the innards, this
occurred to me also. In fact, I've been trying it -- I figured that
a "redump Emacs after load .emacs" would be a fairly attractive option,
especially if it was automated.

Anyway, at the moment, I can't get it to work. Calling this:

(dump-emacs-portable "~/scratch/test.pdmp")

after loading my .emacs works (early versions crashed, so something's
been fixed there). However, trying to use this:

./src/emacs -q --dump-file ~/scratch/test.pdmp
emacs: could not load dump file "/home/phillord/scratch/test.pdmp": not a dump
file

Phil