Re: [Patch] Enable byte-compile-error-on-wran for error-free files in li

From: Robert Cochran
Subject: Re: [Patch] Enable byte-compile-error-on-wran for error-free files in lisp/
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 18:29:34 -0800

Noam Postavsky <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 1:30 PM, Robert Cochran
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> This patch is rather large - the email patch form is 600k. The reason
>> for this is that I've touched quite a number of files - over 1,000
>> according to the Gitlab interface.
>
> If you instead set byte-compile-error-on-warn to t by default (e.g.,
> on the command line) and just set it to nil in files which trigger a
> warning, would the patch be bigger or larger?

According to my blacklist and whitelist files, 179 warning files vs 1319
non-warning files, so significantly smaller it seems. I'll look into
modifying the Makefile.in to accommodate this.

> By the way, I think it would be better to set it in the local
> variables list at the end of the file, rather than in the first line.
> For lexical-binding it's required to put it there for technical
> reasons, but I think those don't apply to byte-compile-error-on-warn,
> and that first line can get a bit crowded.

I generated this mechanically via add-file-local-variable-prop-line in
an Emacs Lisp batch script. Is there a mechanism by which I can use
a-f-l-v-p-l or some other function to put it at the bottom?

Thanks,
--
~Robert Cochran

GPG Fingerprint - BD0C 5F8B 381C 64F0 F3CE  E7B9 EC9A 872C 41B2 77C2