Re: [Patch] Enable byte-compile-error-on-wran for error-free files in li

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: [Patch] Enable byte-compile-error-on-wran for error-free files in lisp/
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 22:24:04 -0500

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 9:29 PM, Robert Cochran
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> If you instead set byte-compile-error-on-warn to t by default (e.g.,
>> on the command line) and just set it to nil in files which trigger a
>> warning, would the patch be bigger or [smaller]?
>
> According to my blacklist and whitelist files, 179 warning files vs 1319
> non-warning files, so significantly smaller it seems. I'll look into
> modifying the Makefile.in to accommodate this.

Marking warning files also has the advantage of avoiding problems for
files which are distributed outside of Emacs.
For lisp/cedet/ files we should probably just set it to nil in a
.dir-locals file, since there's not much point in fixing up warnings
while the cedet merge problem remains unresolved.

>> By the way, I think it would be better to set it in the local
>> variables list at the end of the file, rather than in the first line.
>> For lexical-binding it's required to put it there for technical
>> reasons, but I think those don't apply to byte-compile-error-on-warn,
>> and that first line can get a bit crowded.
>
> I generated this mechanically via add-file-local-variable-prop-line in
> an Emacs Lisp batch script. Is there a mechanism by which I can use
> a-f-l-v-p-l or some other function to put it at the bottom?

add-file-local-variable adds to the bottom, I believe.