Re: SIGABRT in `stream-of-directory-files'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: SIGABRT in `stream-of-directory-files'
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 19:32:47 +0200

> From: Michael Heerdegen <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 13:09:06 +0100
>
> When I traverse a stream created with `stream-of-directory-files', and
> that stream recursively traverses a huge directory hierarchy, like in
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (seq-doseq (_file (stream-of-directory-files
>                    "/home/micha" t nil t nil
>                    (lambda (file) (and (file-readable-p file) (file-regular-p
> file)))))
>   nil)
> #+end_src
>
> emacs crashes with SIGABRT (after quite some time).
>
> Is it possible that doing something like this hits some internal limit?
> My half-baked trials to debug with gdb were not very enlightening:
>
> | (gdb) run
> | Starting program: /home/micha/software/emacs/src/emacs
> | During startup program terminated with signal SIGABRT, Aborted.

Is your Emacs stripped or something?  Why doesn't GDB get control when
Emacs hits SIGABRT?

I also don't understand the "run" thing -- this will start Emacs
"normally", loading your init files etc., it won't run the above
code.  Can you start by showing how you start Emacs to run the above
code, without the debugger?

> | (gdb) xbacktrace
> | You can't do that without a process to debug.
> | (gdb) bt
> | No stack.

Yes, if Emacs terminated, those commands will not work, because they
need a live process.