Re: frame names on tty are different than the ones on X-frames

From: andrés ramírez
Subject: Re: frame names on tty are different than the ones on X-frames
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 14:55:38 -0600

Hi Eli.

> > When using select-frame-by-name You could watch the name.
> It's an illusion created by that function.  That function is
> mainly/only useful for TTY frames, because you have no other
> convenient way of selecting a specific frame quickly: you only see one
> frame, the current one, and have no idea what buffer is displayed on
> others.  That's why that function was written; but in order to make it
> work with any kind of frames, it was extended to GUI frames, although
> it has no real utility in that case.

On my workflow. I have a bash alias myemacs (for not polluting my main
emacs-dev session). I use this specific
emacs session (the one invoked with the alias) as a file explorer, on
different usb pen drives. So when I have 4 pendrives or tar.gz
files (It meants 4 different emacs instances ran by the alias). And the two
main one emacs
sessions (ran by --daemon). the emacs-dev-session and the emacs-mail-session
(which uses
url-retrieve-synchronously){which hangs emacs for a few seconds}.
On the emacs-dev-session (with uptimes of months). I have several frames emms,
erc, my-org-notes-frame, bbdb,
and my project-directory.

Then In total I have:
six emacs sessions
dev
mail
pendrive1
tar.gz
pendrive2
pics

with a total of 10 frames. Then M-TAB is not useful for discriminating
the frame I want to point out. So on my main dev session (with a custom
icon). select-frame-by-name is my friend. other-frame is not very useful
on this case. I have heard about helm-frame. But helm is not part of my
tooling. the last helm version does not run on emacs-23. And my dot
emacs files support all the different versions of emacs from 23 until
master (27). But probably some guys have solved this problem with
another method.

Also on a touch device with a keyboard It is very nice cycling on the
emacs-frames avoiding the phone-app the sms-app the youtube-app.

Perhaps It is time of dropping emacs-23 and start using
helm-frame :). Thanks for the info Eli
AR