Re: pdumping "into" the executable

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: pdumping "into" the executable
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 14:22:12 -0800

On 12/31/1969 04:00 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
On 02/26/2018 01:18 PM, address@hidden wrote:
Or, just turn the dump to a C file, then compile it
and do a second link.  Aside from (maybe hypothetical) C compiler
limits, that would be very portable.
But not redumpable.

Why couldn't it be redumpable? All that the user should need is a C compiler. That's not unreasonable.

I thought we had this argument back when we were talking about modules. I think it's unacceptable to require a C compiler and the presence of Emacs unlinked objects for the proper operation of an end-user feature.

Besides, the problem with a second link is that it might change the
relative positions of symbols within Emac

How could that be a problem? Symbols known to C code are known by their fixed offsets and the second link wouldn't change these offsets, and symbols not known to C code need to be reallocated anyway during loading.

The linker is what determines into-translation-unit offsets, not the compiler. The offsets are patched in at link time. There's no particular requirement to perform the link the same way every time.