Re: [RFC] Add posframe.el to elpa

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: [RFC] Add posframe.el to elpa
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 12:59:23 -0500

On 2018-02-28 12:35, Richard Stallman wrote:

>   > Do we have away to add an external package to elpa? I'm thinking
>   > MELPA style, where you just point ELPA to the appropriate
>   > repository and it pulls from there.
>
> I see that this would be convenient, but it would be asking for
> trouble.  It would mean there is code we distribute as effectively
> part of Emacs which we can't edit.  That is unwise.

Not necessarily: we could fetch code exclusively from Savannah repositories set
up to give all Emacs devs commit rights.

If anything, this would be safer: at the moment, anyone who has a package in
ELPA can edit all other packages in ELPA.  In the architecture that I propose,
Emacs committers could edit all Emacs packages, but ordinary package authors
would only be able to make changes to their own packages.

And it would be simpler for package authors: just a matter of registering your
package on Savannah and adding a remote to your existing repository.

Clément.