Re: Isearch interaction model

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Isearch interaction model
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2018 16:12:13 -0800

On 03/01/2018 02:39 PM, Juri Linkov wrote:
Thanks. I'm looking for ways we can tweak the existing default interaction
model, but I think we should take a broader look at how isearch works in
the first place. IMHO, find-and-replace should be more closely integrated
into isearch,

I believe we could arrive to this goal gradually by adding more isearch
features to query-replace, and query-replace features to isearch,
i.e. like digging a tunnel from both ends to meet in the middle.

Right. It should be easy to switch between isearch and query-replace.

As one of first simplest steps we could try to sync their keybindings
as much as possible, e.g. to add:

(define-key query-replace-map "\C-s" 'skip)
(define-key query-replace-map "\C-r" 'backup)
(define-key query-replace-map "\M-e" 'edit-replacement)

(y)

we should have a unified history for regular and regex search,

Not sure about this, I thought more in the direction of adding separate
histories for word search, symbol search, to be able to repeat the last
search of the same type.  Why do you think histories should be shared?

"What" versus "how".

We have a search history because it's often the case that we want to repeat something we've recently done --- look up the same word, find the same function, and so on. It doesn't make sense to me that the exact mechanism we use to search for a particular thing should affect its recency or the way in which we recall it.

It's very easy already to casually switch between literal and regex isearch with M-r. Why should this distinction affect the way in which we recall that search?

and case-sensitivity, symbol-granularity, regex mode, etc. should all
be independently toggleable peer flags.

Do you mean customizing default search parameters, or keeping toggled
parameters in later searches?

Both.