Re: Let's make the GC safe and iterative (Was: Re: bug#30626)

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Let's make the GC safe and iterative (Was: Re: bug#30626)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 01:31:56 -0500

On Mar 1, 2018, at 18:29, Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 03/01/2018 03:22 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
>> What do you think?
>
> Thanks, I like the idea. I suggest implementing the naive version first.
> Although the more-elaborate versions saves virtual memory, it's not clear
> that it'd be an overall performance win in the typical case, so my guess is
> that it's better to start simple.

The more-elaborate version looks like it’s more likely to win on locality of
reference as it scans blocks sequentially. That could be significant…
especially if anyone is so unfortunate as to still run Emacs on a system small
enough that has to page out part of the Lisp memory.

I like the second approach a bit better, but either way, getting away from
using the C stack sounds like a big improvement.

Ken