Re: What improvements would be truly useful?

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: What improvements would be truly useful?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 14:09:05 -0800

DN> Personally, I find that better support for display with variable width
DN> fonts will not improve my use of Emacs. What would improve my user
DN> experience would be improvements to the display engine that will allow a
DN> better document viewing capabilities in something like pdf-tools (like
DN> continuous scrolling).

I have to agree with Daniele here. I don't use Emacs for writing such
documents, nor would having variable width support by itself grant all the
other features such users have come to expect from modern Word Processors.

Time spent on a better GC could help the *overall* user experience, in the
form of generally better latency, even if no one would be able to point to the
GC as the reason for their better experience with Emacs.