Re: Variable-width font indentation

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Variable-width font indentation
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 17:30:24 -0800

On 03/05/2018 05:06 PM, Clément Pit-Claudel wrote:
In variable-pitch mode, each new indentation level has a slightly-different
width, instead of a regular progression of 4 spaces (in Python) and 2 spaces
(in Elisp) at each level.

That's fine. Although it's only a small thing, to me it's even a small plus, as having every indent level be the same number of pixels unnaturally focuses the reader on a distracting regularity that is not intrinsic to the code.

Beyond this, there's the problem of inline line-up spaces.

Yes, for ASCII art I doubt whether any simple automated heuristic would work unaided. ASCII art is typically ugly and hard-to-read even in a fixed-width font, so it's not much of a loss if it's rendered poorly. If there's really a need for it I suppose we could let users hint to Emacs to switch to a fixed-width font just for the art; that'd be good enough.