Re: Variable-width font indentation

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Variable-width font indentation
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 12:20:53 -0800

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 09:55:16 -0800
From: address@hidden
Cc: "Daniel Colascione" <address@hidden>,
  address@hidden,
  address@hidden,
  address@hidden

You mean, save it to a disk file?  I think we should insert the number
of blanks to align stuff with fixed-pitch font, so that it looks well
with those fonts.  If we want to preserve the display properties
across sessions, we could use enriched-text-mode, I think.

I don't think there's any clean way to embed this alignment information in
arbitrary program text though.

No, it would be necessary to reconstruct it.  But any solution that
uses text properties will have the same problem.  And I don't quite
see how we can align text rendered with variable-pitch font without
something like that.

Right. The leading-indentation case is *barely* feasible, if you imagine that modes can accurately indent all lines automatically. I don't see a path toward internal alignment, since there's no algorithmic way to disambiguate spacing. The closest thing would be something like align-regexp, and even this facility requires manual intervention.