Re: What improvements would be truly useful?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: What improvements would be truly useful?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 15:54:36 -0500

  > You are advocating for your suggested improvements. I am advocating for
  > mine.

Emacs is not an independent project, and it isn't governed by its
contributors.  I'm the head of the GNU Project, and that includes
Emacs.

You, as a contributor, can advocate a certain decision, which means
you present arguments why I should approve it.  I don't need to
advocate a decision in that sense.

I leave most technical decisions up to the contributors, including
you, because for most of the questions I don't have any special
preference of my own.  For those questions, I'm happy with whatever
works, and I know the contributors can figure out what works.

However, making progress on Emacs as a word processor is one of my
specific goals.  This is what Emacs needs to do to be useful in all
the ways it should be useful.

It will only take a few more features to make Emacs start to be useful
as a word processor.  Once we can do proper formatting of paragraphs
with variable-width text, with a few kinds of alignment, and we can
save these in files, we will be able to use it for writing letters and
handouts, instead of LibreOffice.

I am really looking forward to this.  LibreOffice is free software,
and it's ethical, but it isn't Emacs.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.