Re: Towards a WYSIWYG word processing (was: What improvements would be t

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Towards a WYSIWYG word processing (was: What improvements would be truly useful?)
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 19:18:43 +0200

> From: John Yates <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 16:45:56 -0500
> Cc: John Wiegley <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> Today Emacs is able to understand the structure of the text in a
> buffer based on its mode (either because the contents is created and
> maintained entirely by elisp code or because the mode knows how to
> parse the buffer's contents).  Given such understanding the mode can
> then do an intelligent job refilling, reformatting and rendering.
>
> Until Emacs has some way of modeling the structure of a text document
> I doubt that we will see any significant uptake in its use a
> LibreOffice replacement.

I think you have in mind much more sophisticated word processor than
it would take to make significant progress in this area relative to
what we have now.  Extending enriched.el to do a few things it
currently can't will already be a huge step forward, in that it will
allow users who want that to produce reasonably pretty documents in
Emacs, send enriched/text emails, etc.