Re: Variable-width font indentation

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Variable-width font indentation
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 11:38:47 -0800

From: Sam Steingold <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 13:53:54 -0500

* Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> [2018-03-06 08:38:28 -0800]:

How would you serialize the result?

This is actually the question that bothers me too.
I think we need to separate "visual" indentation for word processing
from "semantic" indentation for coding.
The former should be serialized to something like HTML or LaTeX,
and the latter to plain text as it is done now.

Take a look at enriched.el (and etc/enriched.txt as the demonstration
of its capabilities): we already have the capability for serializing
this, had it for many years.

That's fine so long as you have a file you want to edit _only_ with Emacs. Files that need to be understood by other tools would need information about indentation adjustment included in some compatible way (maybe a comment), but since other tools would know nothing of this information, it would go out of date. Requiring that people edit a source file only with Emacs is not realistic.