Re: Using Org as the source format to generate org.texi

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Using Org as the source format to generate org.texi
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 17:57:17 -0500

  > > One drawback is that we will have to backport manual changes made in
  > > Emacs' repo to org.texi into Org's manual.org file, but such changes
  > > are rare enough that we think we can handle this.

  > Why wouldn't we use Org's manual.org in Emacs?

Our standard format for manuals is Texinfo.
However, it is ok to use another format if it can
be converted into good Texinfo.  That means
the conversion produces a Texinfo file which
uses all the constructs according to our style.

If Org can convert manual.org into that,
then it is ok as a source file.

Can Org express all the constructs of Texinfo?

But I think 'manual.org' is the wrong name for it.
It isn't the one and only manual we distribute, and it
may not be the only one written in org.  So
it should be 'org-manual.org', right?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.