Should Emacs 26 be portable to Glibc 2.28?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Should Emacs 26 be portable to Glibc 2.28?
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 18:09:49 -0800

The attached patch, which I've installed into Emacs master, fixes a incompatibility between Emacs and the planned 2.28 release of glibc. Should I install it into the emacs-26 branch? glibc 2.28 is currently scheduled for August, so this shouldn't be much of an issue until then; however, as the patch is reasonably conservative and it's likely there won't be another Emacs release before August, it might make sense to install this patch into the emacs-26 branch now.

The underlying problem is that Emacs (via gnulib) mucks with glibc internals that are planned to change in glibc 2.28. For more see the thread here:

https://lists.gnu.org/r/bug-gnulib/2018-03/msg00000.html