Re: Variable-width font indentation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Variable-width font indentation
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 23:50:45 -0500

>> In your world, concretely, what happens when I open xdisp.c and press M-x
>> variable-pitch-mode? Does everything look misaligned until I M-x
>> indent-region the whole file?
> Yes.  It isn't different from what happens when you change tab-width.

It's different in one important way:
- it's considered normal to impose that everyone who looks/edits this
  file needs to have tad-width set to a particular value (8,
  traditionally).
- it's not considered normal to impose that everyone who looks/edits
  this file needs to use the same *font*.
Also, you can easily circumvent the tag-width issue by not using TABs in
your file, whereas it's hard to have a file whose appearance is not
affected by the choice of font.

        Stefan