Re: What improvements would be truly useful?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: What improvements would be truly useful?
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2018 17:20:26 -0500

  > Of course Emacs can also hide information (as text-properties, as
  > invisible text, as data stored in buffer-local variables, ...) but most
  > packages follow a design where as little info as possible is hidden.
  > Indeed, whenever I hide such information, I think it over many times
  > because I know there's a very strong chance that users won't like it.

That's a valid point, but WYSIWYG text processing is so desirable
that we shouldn't rule it out because of that point.

Perhaps Emacs WYSIWYG should have a mode to show the markup and a mode
to hide the markup, with a character to toggle between them.

Where and how to store the markup data is an independent question.
It could be in invisible characters, or in text properties.
Or some combination of the two.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.