Re: Adding ELPA to Emacs core

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Adding ELPA to Emacs core
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 20:16:42 +0100

Phillip Lord writes:
> One thing that does worry me is that it means Emacs source as references
> to ELPA git. If Emacs (or ELPA) ever needs to move VCS, it's going to
> require some significant hackery.

Well, if you replace those SHA you were previously talking about with
tags, then the required hackery gets significantly reduced.  And no, I
don't think that EMACS needs to be able to reference any SHA directly
since ELPA is well enough under control to be able to place tags where
you need them, maybe even of the form emacs-x.y.z or similar so it
becomes clear which of these are in use where.  Naming the tags
explicitly to indicate Emacs' use of them would certainly help any
maintainer who would want to backport important patches to a branch that
older Emacsen can use.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: