Re: Using Org as the source format to generate org.texi

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Using Org as the source format to generate org.texi
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 22:16:29 +0200

> From: Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 18:57:03 +0100
>
> {{{kbd(...)}}} is both @kbd{...} and @key{...}.

It can't be both, because then you cannot distinguish between
@kbd{FOO}, which means type the 3 characters F O O, and @key{FOO},
which means press the key labeled "FOO".

> Anyway, it seems you did not answer to any of my questions.

Sorry about that.  I thought I did.  Maybe what I say above clarifies
the issue.

> Currently, {{{kbd(TAB)}}} is translated as @address@hidden Would it
> be better if it became @key{TAB} instead? Or is "supporting @key
> conveniently" something else?

Yes, something else: we need a separate {{{key(...)}}} construct, or
something else that will produce @key{...} in Texinfo.

> >> Org -> LaTeX and Org -> Texinfo -> LaTeX are going to produce different
> >> results and there is little hope they can converge at some point.
> >> I suggest to not bother too much about this.
> >
> > That's not what bothers me.
>
> Well, it seems to be, really. _text_ underlines "text" in other export
> back-ends than Texinfo. In Texinfo, it would become @dfn{...}.

I wouldn't recommend having an underline in Org to be translated into
something entirely different in Texinfo.  This is a mental burden on
the authors we'd better avoid.

> In any case, let's forget about this, it was just an idea. One can still
> define and use {{{dfn(...)}}} when needed.

Fine with me, thanks.