Re: wait_reading_process_ouput hangs in certain cases (w/ patches)

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: wait_reading_process_ouput hangs in certain cases (w/ patches)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 17:56:17 +0200

On 3/13/18 5:46 PM, Robert Pluim wrote:

It got caught before it got committed, so not that bad.

I mean the general possibility of having somebody who comes later reverse the fix.

For some code the odds of this happening are fairly small (via architectural decisions, or segregating a fix into a separate unit of code, or maybe just commenting profusely). Not so in this case, apparently.

Fiddly, hard-to-reproduce misbehavior is the ideal target for
regression tests, IMO.

My current test-case for 21337 is 'visit a bunch of files, make sure
global-auto-revert is turned on and auto-revert-use-notify is t, run
Gnus (or anything else that makes TLS connections), wait for errors to
be signalled by inotify'. I don't know how to write a regression test
for that.

Maybe there's a way to simulate the critical conditions more directly?