Re: Regarding smerge upper/lower; needs NEWS

From: Richard Copley
Subject: Re: Regarding smerge upper/lower; needs NEWS
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 20:10:42 +0000

On 15 March 2018 at 17:14, Richard Copley <address@hidden> wrote:

On 15 March 2018 at 16:45, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:
Richard Copley wrote:

> Why is this change good? What am I missing?

https://debbugs.gnu.org/20878

Thanks. If we were using labels such as "Yours/Theirs" previously, I can see
why "Upper/Lower" are better.

It would have helped to cite the last time you raised this issue, where
a patch for your usage was suggested.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-04/msg00349.html

Yes, sorry about that. My message today was meant to be a reply to that very thread. Not sure what went wrong.
And sorry I missed Noam's question.
I will try the patch.

With that patch, smerge-ediff creates buffers with "A" and "B" in their names rather than "UPPER" and "LOWER", which is what I want.
I still don't know how to use smerge itself, so I don't know what if anything is displayed differently in smerge with the patch.

Thanks Noam, thanks Glenn.