Re: bug#26323: 25.1; Closing frames (in fullscreen) under Mac OS cause i

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: bug#26323: 25.1; Closing frames (in fullscreen) under Mac OS cause immediate crash
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 12:23:40 +0000

On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 09:05:06PM -0500, Matthew Bauer wrote:

> I actually hadn't realized that Sierra's "tabbing" feature is disabled
> intentionally in Emacs. I had been using it since Sierra came out and it
> works fine except for the frame closing issue. This is obviously a
> little contentious in the Emacs world but I wonder if it could be
> supported. IMO this is a "window manager" feature similar to how lots of
> window managers will group multiple frames of Emacs. In no way is it
> really an "Emacs feature" that has to be disabled.

You could also argue that free OS’s support tab bar mode and the like,
so this isn’t really unprecedented. It would need some work before it
could be properly supported, though. Not least because it appears to
cause crashes.

> A note on this that may be important: This was from John's Nix
> configuration script that is available on:
> https://github.com/jwiegley/nix-config/blob/e5649602dc89f944e0444a88d8526b19b965bccb/overlays/10-emacs.nix#L678-L698
>
> This probably accounts for how John is having the same issue. Nix does
> some stuff to achieve "purity" but might be inadvertly introducing the
> issue. The SDK used in Nixpkgs is still at macOS 10.10 Yosemite. It
> could be causing the discrepency. Most likely the build from
> "emacsformacosx.com" is using older SDKs as well.

Yes, 10.10 doesn’t support the tabs command. emacsformacosx.com builds
on 10.9 the last time I looked, so yes, that’s what’s going on there.

Please try adding

    -DMAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED=101200

to CFLAGS.

It should give you a compiler warning or two, but you can safely
ignore them.
--
Alan Third