Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 4ab4551: Firm up documentation of generalized

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 4ab4551: Firm up documentation of generalized variables
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 20:27:33 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 15:56:51 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >     * doc/lispref/variables.texi (Generalized Variables)
> >     (Setting Generalized Variables): Define a generalized variable as
> > something
> >     setf can write to.  Remove the insinuation that hackers have poor
> > memories.
> >     State explicitly that the list of GVs given is complete.  Remove the
> >     suggestion that `setf' has superseded, or is in the process of
> > superseding,

> Thanks, it's indeed more clear now.
> But note that the list is not "complete".

What the paragraph I modified actually says on this point is:

    The following Lisp forms are the forms in Emacs that will work as
    generalized variables, and so may appear in the @var{place} argument
    of @code{setf}:

I take it this isn't quite accurate.  How is it inaccurate?

Is it (i) because there are more GVs in the cl-*.el files?  Or (ii)
because users can create their own GVs?  Or (iii) <something else>?

Depending on the answer, I suggest one of the following corrections:

    The following Lisp forms are the forms in standard Emacs that will
    work as generalized variables, and so may appear in the PLACE
    argument of `setf'.  You can load more such forms from the file
    xxxx.el.

    The following Lisp forms are the forms in standard Emacs that will
    work as generalized variables, and so may appear in the PLACE
    argument of `setf'.  You can also create your own generalized
    variables (see Adding Generalized Variables).

It would be nice to fix this.  What do you think?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).