Re: macOS support (was: bug#30800: 26.0.91; unknown crash on macos)

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: macOS support (was: bug#30800: 26.0.91; unknown crash on macos)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 16:08:47 -0400

On Mar 24, 2018, at 2:35 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Are there any numbers about how widespread each version is on end-user
> machines?

Better, I can show you the number of unique (and somewhat frequent) Aquamacs
Emacs users throughout 2017, below.
(Some of them will have upgraded throughout the year, so they would be counted
multiple times.)

In these data, we’re seeing that out of all users, only 2.15% are still on Mac
OS X 10.6.  (Full distribution shown below.)

If we do the same for November and December 2017 only.  Now we’re down to 1.21%
and 1.24% 10.6 users, respectively.

Looking at queries (which run every third day, as long as Emacs is in use):
Out of the Dec 2017 queries (838) from machine that still run 10.6, only 6%
(54) bothered to upgrade to the latest version, which was released in mid-2016.
 Clearly, users of very old operating systems also don’t care to upgrade their
Emacs.

Now, there are some old Macs that can only run 10.6.  However, clearly, few
users will update applications but not never the OS.

I hope these data can support your decision where to direct scarce volunteer
resources.

[aquamacs /home/protected]$ ./macos-users v2017
unique users with more than 10 startups:
OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard:
    1074
OS X 10.7 Lion:
     776