Re: Call CMD w/ keybinding VS execute-extended-command: redisplay behavi

From: Tino Calancha
Subject: Re: Call CMD w/ keybinding VS execute-extended-command: redisplay behaviour
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 15:27:28 +0900 (JST)

From: Tino Calancha <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 19:00:47 +0900
Cc: address@hidden

What still puzzle me is that I manually call `redisplay' at the end of
`foo-update-friend', but I still don't get a redisplay when using the
keybinding :-(

That's because the call to 'redisplay' in sit-for is not the reason
you get a redisplay when you type "M-x SOMETHING RET".  If you do that
slowly, you should see that the screen is redrawn as soon as you type
"M-x".  This happens because execute-extended-command reads from the
minibuffer, which enters recursive-editing, and that performs a
thorough redipslay.
I see, totally consistent with the observations.  Thank you!